I’m back! I really never left, but due to the time spent putting the final pieces together for my wedding things got a bit stale here. I can’t really say I’m sorry though, as the whole experience created some great blog topics! As you now know if you didn’t already, I got married recently. My
fianceé wife and I had a blast planning it all ourselves, and early on we decided that my DBA skills could come in handy as we would be generating a decent amount of data throughout the process. The guest list, invitation information, replies, meal choices, seating charts, gifts received and thank you notes sent could all be stored in a database, and schema designs started popping into my head shortly after we got engaged. As we had a relatively long engagement there was plenty of time to think everything through before the coding began.
Weighing The Options
My plan from the beginning was to utilize my skills and create a database in SQL Server for keeping everything neat, tidy, and in proper relational form. This sounded like a great idea at first, but the more I thought about it the less appealing it became. Designing the database was a non-issue, but designing a front-end was. Since this would be a shared database that both my wife and I would be utilizing, I really wanted a web interface. Despite years of .Net application development experience, I was never all that good at designing front ends. It’s a skill I really wish I had – maybe someday I’ll get good at it.
Another option was just to skip the front end altogether and do everything in SSMS with straight SQL. This would be a big pain, and I have lots of database experience! I knew it would be very difficult for Michelle to use a system in this way, so it was quickly ruled out.
In the end I decided to go with something much simpler, Google Docs. Its sharing functionality was excellent, as we were able to keep pretty much everything stored in the cloud and synchronized between the both of us. Most of our information was stored in spreadsheets (“Excel normal form” counts as a database, right? Right? Bueller?…) We also used the word processor to store notes, such as when either of us would make a phone call so we could keep a log of all activities. The ability for both of us to be editing a document at the same time also came in handy a number of times. Contracts and other correspondence were scanned (if not in electronic form already) and stored as PDFs. We even made good use of Google’s versioning functionality, as several of our scanned documents evolved over time. We still had a gigantic wedding binder with paper copies of most things, but using the cloud made it a lot less necessary. Having everything stored online also made it very easy to do things when away from home – like at work, because many vendors are only open during regular business hours.
But wait, this *is* a SQL Server blog, isn’t it? Don’t worry kids – I’m not going anywhere, but the moral of this story is that even though I really love SQL Server it just wasn’t the right tool for me in this particular case. You’ll be happy to know that I did end up importing a bunch of my spreadsheet data into a database anyway for some reporting and BI purposes, which I’ll cover in another post.
A Better Way To Reply
Aside from the method in which all this wedding data was being stored, another important factor is how it was retrieved. As awesome as online invitations would be, I was not about to send out e-vites for my wedding. That being said, I’ve never been a big fan of wedding reply cards either. I have nothing against the cards themselves, but the traditional design of them has never sat right with me. Let’s look at a standard reply card. I don’t have any handy, but they all look pretty much like this:
First off, I’ve always thought the “M” was stupid. I know I’m supposed to write my name on the line, and I don’t really need any help in writing “Mr.”, “Mrs.”, or “Ms.” If your name happens to start with an “M”, you’re even luckier! This line is fine for writing 1 or 2 names, but we had several instances where families of 4 or 5 were invited. Cramming all those names into that space would be a pain at best.
Another thing I hate about reply cards is the method of selecting a meal. Let’s say 2 people will be attending the wedding using the card above. One person is having the chicken, the other the fish. It’s easily to specify the couple will be eating 1 chicken and 1 fish, but who’s having what? There’s really no way to specify that on the above card without writing really small in a margin somewhere, and that’s just sloppy. There had to be a better way. Here’s what we came up with to address these issues:
As you can see, my
spreadsheet database roots came into play in the design of my reply cards. You’re actually looking at the back side – the front gave a reply date and explained the meal choices in more detail. This design allows ample space for names and a rather intuitive method for choosing a meal for each guest. (Yes, I’m aware that “child” is a meal choice and that it looks really bad, but it fit much better into the column than “Chicken Tenders”.)
The final feature we added was the number you can see in the bottom right. On the advice of several friends who had issues at their weddings, we gave each card a
primary key ID number. This way if someone mailed a card back without writing their name on it we would still be able to trace it to its owner. We were fortunate in that we didn’t really need this. One couple forgot to write their last name, but we knew who they were anyway.
Not only did Michelle and I have a great time planning our wedding, but we had a great time dealing with the data that was created as a result! Stay tuned for more posts to come on wedding data and what we did with it.