Why I Love SQLBits

Why I Love SQLBits

With SQLBits coming up quickly (it's next week!) I wanted to take a few moments to write about what very quickly has become my favorite conference. It's an awesome experience and I am so grateful that I am able to attend, volunteer, and present there for a second year. It's Not PASS Summit I love PASS Summit - no surprises there. I've written many posts about it, why you should attend, and how to prepare for it over the years. But I think it's really important to point out that SQLBits is not PASS Summit, nor is it organized by…
Read More
I’m a 2019 Friend of Redgate!

I’m a 2019 Friend of Redgate!

I am very proud and happy to be a Friend of Redgate for a sixth year! If you’re not familiar with the Friends of Redgate program, we work with the Redgate development and product teams to provide feedback on existing products, new tools, and feature enhancements. You can also find us doing things like speaking at events, writing articles on Redgate tools, and participating on the Redgate forums. Last year, I even got to present at SQL in the City Summit in Chicago as a result of being in this program. Redgate is a wonderful organization to be associated with. Not only do…
Read More
Looking Back at 2018

Looking Back at 2018

2018 is almost over, and it's been an incredibly busy year for me. I've done more speaking and community activities this year than ever before, and had something big going on almost every month! In this, my final post of 2018, I thought I'd take a look back at some of the highlights. January I started off the year with my first-ever trip to SQL Saturday Nashville. While the weather didn't cooperate on Friday (an ice storm shut the venue down, leading to the cancellation of pre-conference sessions) things were back to normal by Saturday and it was an excellent event…
Read More
PASS Summit 2018: Where I’ll Be

PASS Summit 2018: Where I’ll Be

I don't know where the last year went, but it's once again time for PASS Summit. It really doesn't feel like a year has passed! This will be my seventh PASS Summit as an attendee and my sixth as a speaker. I know I'm extremely fortunate to have been able to attend and present so many times, and am looking to the incredibly fun - and exhausting - week ahead! Be sure to follow me on Twitter as I will have plenty of updates throughout the week. Here's what I'll be up to: SQL Saturday Portland My first stop is…
Read More
Starting a SQL Saturday Not-For-Profit

Starting a SQL Saturday Not-For-Profit

If you've been a SQL Saturday organizer for a few years, you might remember that prior to March of 2014, PASS handled much of the finances. All money collected from sponsors and meal fees went into a trust account managed by PASS which was earmarked for that specific event. Organizers then requested their funds from PASS. I completely understand why PASS would want to get out of doing this. PASS handles a lot of things, and to be honest, playing the role of banker for events organized and managed by volunteers doesn't need to be a part of that. While…
Read More