PASS Summit 2018: Where I’ll Be

PASS Summit 2018: Where I’ll Be

I don't know where the last year went, but it's once again time for PASS Summit. It really doesn't feel like a year has passed! This will be my seventh PASS Summit as an attendee and my sixth as a speaker. I know I'm extremely fortunate to have been able to attend and present so many times, and am looking to the incredibly fun - and exhausting - week ahead! Be sure to follow me on Twitter as I will have plenty of updates throughout the week. Here's what I'll be up to: SQL Saturday Portland My first stop is…
Read More
Starting a SQL Saturday Not-For-Profit

Starting a SQL Saturday Not-For-Profit

If you've been a SQL Saturday organizer for a few years, you might remember that prior to March of 2014, PASS handled much of the finances. All money collected from sponsors and meal fees went into a trust account managed by PASS which was earmarked for that specific event. Organizers then requested their funds from PASS. I completely understand why PASS would want to get out of doing this. PASS handles a lot of things, and to be honest, playing the role of banker for events organized and managed by volunteers doesn't need to be a part of that. While…
Read More

I’m a 2018 Friend of Redgate!

I am extremely fortunate to have been named a Friend of Redgate for a fifth year! If you're not familiar with the Friends of Redgate program, we work with the Redgate development and product teams to provide feedback on existing products, new tools, and feature enhancements. You can also find us doing things like speaking at events, writing articles on Redgate tools, and participating on the Redgate forums. Redgate is a wonderful organization to be associated with. Not only do they make great tools and publish some very helpful books, but they're also extremely community-oriented. They sponsor many functions such as…
Read More

Bacon Blog Day 7: If Kale Can Be A Thing, What About Red Wine Bacon?

by @WidowPage I've made red wine bacon before and it's become one of my favorites.  It's not something you would eat for breakfast, but it goes so well into many recipes.  Here's my list: Grilled Peach and Bacon Salad Spaghetti with Beef and Bacon Chicken Bacon Flatbread Mushroom Bacon Casserole It's also great in stews and coq au vin and it's amazing in beef bourguignon. One other thing: Until you get a chance to try bacon that isn't mass-produced, you don't realize how much flavor real bacon has.  Producers like Oscar Meyer inject their bacon with water because they sell it…
Read More

Bacon Blog Day 4: A Cure for the Fever

Thank you so much for sticking with me and following along on this process.  I'm really enjoying this project and I would especially like to thank Bob for allowing me to use his blog. So let's cure this piggy's belly! I've cut it up into smaller pieces so we can try a couple of different cures.  I'm using a recipe out of Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn's Charcuterie.  I love this book and even if you aren't even going to cure meat, it's great reading.  I also recommend their Whiskey-Glazed Smoked Chicken and their Smoked Scallops.  I've also made their…
Read More