PASS Summit 2014 Early Bird Rate Ends Friday!

Just a quick note that the PASS Summit 2014 Early Bird rate of $1095 ends Friday 6 December. You don't have to look very hard to find lots of blog posts about how PASS Summit is an amazing experience at any price, but this is a great opportunity to save $1200 off the full registration rate. Starting Saturday 7 December the price increases to $1395.I've always registered during the early bird period as a kind of safety net. If you are planning on attending no matter what, it's totally worth it. Here's how I see the possible outcomes by registering…
Read More

SQLFriends: A Different Kind of Gathering

Imagine you had the chance to get together with other data professionals in your area in a setting outside of a training session or user group meeting. There's no formal agenda, just an excellent meal and some great conversation. Perhaps a respected expert is available to answer questions and bounce ideas off of. Does this sound appealing? If so, you should check out SQLFriends. This past Friday I had the pleasure of attending the first-ever SQLFriends event! SQLFriends is the brainchild of Aaron Lowe (blog | @Vendoran) who, as he described it, wanted to come up with a SQL Server…
Read More

Thoughts on #SQLFamily

This is the second time I've participated in the "Meme Monday" blog events that have been brought to us by Tom LaRock (blog | @SQLRockstar). The topic is on what "SQL Family" means to us. A few things popped into my head as soon as I read it, and I'm happy to share them: First and foremost SQLFamily means there's people you can count on for help, no matter what time it is. Twitter definitely makes this possible, because there's always people in our family awake in some part of the world, online and chattering about something. The #sqlhelp hash…
Read More

What I’m Thankful For

With Thanksgiving coming up here in the US, I was planning on doing a post like this anyway, but then Jason Strate (blog | twitter) decided to ask everyone, so I'm happy to join in! Thanksgiving is my 2nd favorite holiday (yes, Christmas does take the cake for me). Though it's an American holiday, I like to think that anyone from any nation can appreciate the thought of sharing a meal with family and friends and pausing to reflect on all we have to be thankful for. Here's my list: Michelle - First and foremost, I'm thankful for my beautiful…
Read More

I was at the PASS Summit

Alright, the title of this post is a big fat lie. I would have given my left join to experience the PASS Summit firsthand in Seattle, but it wasn't meant to be this year. Luckily thanks to the magic of teh internetz, I was able to feel like I was there. I'd like to thank two groups of people for making this possible: First of all, a big thank you to everyone at PASS that was responsible for streaming the keynotes and women in tech lunch for everyone to see. I know it took a lot of people to make…
Read More